Men’s Lacrosse Beats Roger Williams on the Road

4 min read



Trinity College Men’s Lacrosse traveled to New London and clashed with the Connecticut College Camels on Wednesday, Apr. 6. The Camels came out on top, with nine goals to the Bantams’ six, resulting in a third straight loss for Trinity.

Trinity outplayed Connecticut College in the fourth quarter, scoring three goals and shutting out the Camels, ultimately their final efforts were not enough to overcome their six goal deficit. This loss brings the Bantams’ overall record to 2-7, with a New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) record of 1-5.

The Bantams started off the game with a quick goal within the first few minutes of the quarter: Trinity’s Scott Morgan ‘19 won the opening faceoff giving the Bantams an early head start and eventually leading to a shot from John Caraviello ’18 penetrating the net and giving Trinity the lead, assisted by captain Ryan DeSimone ‘16. Trinity’s lead was short-lived, as the Camels gained five unanswered goals, scored by Pierce DellaFera, Derek Bertolini, Penn Sesnaoui, Jordan Foster, and Tucker Mscisz. Trinity’s Michael McQuiston ’16 was able to sneak in one more goal by the end of the period, bringing the score to 5-2 in favor of the Camels.

The second quarter was bleak for the Bantams as Camel goalie Bobby Bleistein held off all attempts to score. Not only were the Bantams unable to find the back of the net during the third quarter, but they also surrendered 3 goals to the Camels, scored by Ross Thompson, Maximilian King, and PJ Kelleher. The score at the end of the quarter was 8-2 with Connecticut College in the lead. The third quarter was uneventful with only two goals scored overall, one by Trinity’s Ben Knaus ‘19 and one by Connecticut College’s Wyatt Thompson. Entering the fourth quarter, the score was 9-3.

The fourth quarter saw a strong effort by the Bantams as Knaus scored twice more and DeSimone scored once. The Camels found themselves unable to score for the rest of the game. During the fourth quarter, the Bantams were able to put forth a stellar effort, but were unable to raise the score high enough to turn the game in their favor.

After traveling to Bristol, Rhode Island, Trinity men’s lacrosse returned with a victory, beating Roger Williams with a score of 10-6 on Apr. 9. This win broke Trinity’s three game losing streak, bringing their record to 3-7 and leaving Roger Williams with a record of 7-5. Saturday’s game saw another stellar performance from Trinity’s, Ben Knaus ’19, as he was the top goal scorer for Trinity for the third game in a row.

The Bantams saw success early, scoring three times in the first quarter and shutting out Roger Williams. Ben Knaus ’19, Ryan DeSimone ’16, and Michael McQuiston ’16 scored for the Bantams. The score was 3-0 going into the second quarter, giving Trinity the early advantage.

The Hawks finally put their team on the board as Nick Gagnon scored five minutes into the second quarter. Their second quarter success was short-lived, however, as Trinity junior Stefan Pappas scored a minute later to again put Trinity at a three goal advantage. By the end of the quarter, Trinity only led by 2 goals. Hawks players Eric Valenti and Justin MacIntyre scored and Trinity only answered with one goal by John Caraviello ‘18.

Little action was seen in the third quarter; one goal was scored by Trinity’s Ben Knaus ’19 and the Hawks failed to score. Roger Williams made up for their third quarter shortcomings in the fourth, scoring 3 goals; two of them in the final two minutes of the game. With a score of 9-6, Knaus sealed the deal as he scored with 1:25 left on the clock, bringing the final score to 10-6 for Trinity.

You May Also Like

+ There are no comments

Add yours