Hockey Team Enters the NESCAC Tournament

3 min read

Cat MacLennan ’20
Staff Writer

The Trinity women’s and men’s hockey teams were both at home this weekend competing for the quarterfinals of the NESCAC tournament. The women’s team played the Amherst College Mammoths in a nail-biting game and the men’s team took down the Tufts University Jumbo’s; both teams played on Saturday.

The women’s team finished their season with an 11-11-3 record after a heartbreaking overtime loss for the Bantams. Neither team scored in the first period after several attempts in finding the back of the net. The Bantams nearly put themselves on the board with a shot from sophomore Sierra Lee, but her shot was saved by the Amherst goalie first-year Ellie Fellows. She also had an opportunity at the near end of the period, but her shot was also saved leaving the first period scoreless. Junior goal tender Kai-Lilly  Karpman had a crucial save in the first period to keep the Mammoths from scoring the first goal of the game. 49 seconds into the second period, the Bantams took the lead with a goal from sophomore Karinna Cave-Hawkins, assisted by senior captain Alex Sinson. The Mammoths broke through Karpman’s tough goal tending into the third period, tying the game 1-1. Less than a minute later, the mammoths went up 2-1 against the Bantams. At 1:11, Karpman was pulled to give Trinity an extra skater and it was Cave-Hawkins who made the game 2-2 for the Bantams. In overtime, Amherst had a lucky shot to win the game. Karpman finished with 28 saves and Trinity had 29 total shots.


The men’s ice hockey team beat the Jumbos 3-0 this weekend and is advancing to the semifinals as the top seed in the tournament. Tufts nearly scored the first goal of the game, but junior goaltender Tedy Loughborough kept the Jumbo’s out. 17 minutes into the game, first-year Lucas Michaud scored the first goal for Trinity. Michaud took advantage of senior Mike O’Brien’s redirected shot and nailed it in the back of the net. The Bantams scored again at the 10:56 minute mark in the second period. Junior assistant captain Adam Anderson put the Bantams up 2-0, firing the shot into the back of the net. A Tufts penalty was called shortly before the end of the second period, which was carried over into the third period. The Bantams took advantage of the man-up situation. Senior Ryan Pfeffer to make the game 3-0. Trinity’s defense held the Jumbos to 4 shots in the rest of the third period. The Bantams finished with 37 shots and Loughborough picked up his fourth shutout of the season. Trinity is ranked no.7 in the country and improved to a 17-3-5 record.

You May Also Like

+ There are no comments

Add yours