Men's Hockey Ties It Up Against Hamilton/Amherst

Cat MacLennan ’20
Contributing Writer 
The Men’s Ice Hockey team was on the road this weekend with a back to back match-up against the Hamilton College Continentals and the Amherst College Mammoths, respectively. The game on Friday against Hamilton was  back-and- forth throughout the whole game. The Bantams started things off with junior Nick Fiorentino finding the back of the net with an assist from sophomore Dylan Healey. Shortly after, the Continentals struck back on a man-up advantage. The first period scoring  for the Bants continued from freshman Bantam Cole Polizianiwith 9:27 left in the period. The Continentals fired back once again to tie both teams 2-2 at the end of the first period. After 26 attempted, but unsuccessful, shots during the second period, Trinity took back the lead for the third time 4 minutes into the final period of the game. First-year Lucas Michaud put the Bantams ahead 3-4. It was an assist from Fiorentino and junior Barclay Gammill that helped Michaud score his eighth goal of the season.
The Continentals did not let down in the third period, tying the game with 4:38 left to play. The game went into overtime but even with a combined seven total shots on net, the game ended in a 3-3 tie. On Saturday, the hockey team ranked 7th in the nation, traveled to Amherst, Massachusetts to take on the Mammoths. The Mammoths started off the scoring in the first period at the 7:32 mark, capitalizing on a penalty against Trinity. After a shoulder save by Trinity junior Tedy Loughborough, but Amherst used the rebound to put the puck in the net, making it a 1-0 game. The energy from both teams continued throughout the whole game with several scoring opportunities from both teams in the second period, but both goalkeepers held strong, keeping the second period scoreless.
The Bantams came out ready to go in the third period, and it was sophomore defenseman Michael Grande who scored the game-tying goal with 2:17 left in the game. Senior defensemen Mike O’Brien dished the pass to Grande to force an overtime session. Amherst earned 7 attempted shots on net against Loughborough, but he stood strong for Trinity in order to keep the Mammoths from winning. Loughborough recorded  27 stops in total for the Bantams. The Bantams move to 10-3-5 overall and continued their seven-game unbeaten streak.
Trinity travels to Williams to take on the Ephs, ranked 9th nationally this Friday, Feb. 1st at 7 p.m. Be sure to congratulate the hockey Bantams on a so far successful season and, if you happen to be in the area, make certain that you cheer them on at their upcoming game on Friday!  

You May Also Like

+ There are no comments

Add yours